Walking Works Challenge
Grab your walking boots, Manchester Schools’ Faculty and Staff! Manchester School District is kicking off their Walking Works challenge on Monday, June 15th!
Teams will compete to cover the greatest amount of steps in 8 weeks. Sign up’s are available starting at 4:00pm on June 4th, so grab a spot and get moving! The first 50 registrants will receive a Fitbit Zip to help them track activity throughout the challenge (those who have received a Fitbit in the past are not eligible).
This year will work a little differently than last; teams will be split into 3 groups: elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools. Each team will receive a weekly average step score based on the amount of participants on their team. The team with the greatest step score by the end of the 8-week challenge will earn a spot on The Walking Works Plaque of Fame. This will be updated and passed between winning schools in future challenges. Participants will still be eligible for random prize drawings individually.
The challenge will run through summer, ending on August 10th. With school being out, it is the perfect time to start increasing activity levels! All participants will receive bi-weekly email updates and may also check Manchester School District’s Fitbit page for discussion topics to stay motivated. All participants are required to register on the Walking Works website. Instructions for this can be found below.
Registering for Walking Works
1. Go to https://www.walkingworks.com
2. Click on "Register Now" in the top right corner
3. Complete the required information at the top of the page, and choose "I'm participating with my company"
4. Click the drop down to choose the Plan, Group, Program, and appropriate team (District Office, Elementary Schools, Middle Schools, High Schools).
5. Choose your age group and click REGISTER NOW.
6. You are now registered. You will see a screen that allows you to enter your activity. Choose the activity type and units based on whether you are using a wearable device such as a Fitbit, or converting other activities such as swimming or bicycling into steps.
7. Begin logging anytime! Only activity logged between June 15 - August 9 will be included in the challenge totals.